4 cups white sugar
1 cup, light corn syrup
2 cups water
2 lbs strawberries
Edible gold leaf
1 craft styrofoam cone
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking sheet or aluminum foil lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Pierce the base of each strawberry with a toothpick going 1/3 way up.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, and water to a small saucepan outfitted with a candy thermometer on medium-high heat. Cook, stirring until sugar has dissolved and reached a temperature of 300 degrees. Remove from heat.
- Quickly and carefully dip the strawberries in the hot candy, shake off excess, and place on lined baking sheet. Ensure not to touch the candy as it is very hot and can cause burns. Allow to set at room temperature for a few minutes until hard.
- Decorate half of the strawberries with gold leaf. Starting at the base of the styrofoam cone, alternate between gold leaf and plain strawberries moving upwards until the entire cone is filled.
- Must be made and consumed the same day in order for the candy to stay crispy.