2 slices whole wheat bread (or any sliced bread)
1/3 cup grated cheddar (or any other grated cheese)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Assemble a “cheese sandwich” with a quarter cup of grated cheese inside two slices of whole wheat bread, then spread the outside of each side liberally with mayonnaise.
- Cook in a frying pan over medium-high heat, turning once, until well-browned and crispy.
- This dish pairs perfectly with tomato soup, and can be served in more ways than one. To make grilled cheese croutons, just cut the finished grilled cheese into half-inch croutons and serve in soup.
- To serve au gratin, simply create a deconstructed grilled cheese by toasting a single slice of bread and cutting a circle from it that is just a bit smaller than the serving bowl. Fill the bowl with soup, then float the toast over the soup. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese, then place under a broiler until cheese is fully melted and bubbling.
- To create cheese balls, roll out a Loonie-sized ball of store-bought pizza dough and place a half-inch cube of cheese in the centre. Fold the dough over the cheese and pinch the dough to seal it. Baste with butter or oil and bake on a sheet pan in a preheated 425°F oven for about 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Serve three per bowl.