For the Stew
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium. Add the leeks to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for five to six minutes or until the leeks start to soften and turn golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic, sage and thyme and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the beans then sprinkle over the flour and mix well to combine.
- Slowly pour in the broth, turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened and the leeks are very tender.
- Add the frozen peas, sour cream, and lemon juice to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.
For the Biscuits
- While the stew cools, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Add in the butter and cut or snap it into the flour until the pieces of butter are about the size of a pea.
- Stir in the grated cheese and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the buttermilk and gently mix until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and bring the dough together. Press it out into a two centimetre (1-inch) thick rectangle** then fold it over onto itself. Press and fold the dough two more times then flatten again to two centimetres (1-inch) thick. Trim any wonky edges and cut the dough into 8 rough squares.
- If serving immediately, preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Transfer all or a portion of the stew to a casserole dish and top with all or a portion of the biscuits. Brush the biscuits with melted butter and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow the pot pie to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make Ahead - Fridge: If storing in the fridge (for up to two days), transfer the stew and biscuits to separate resealable containers, dividing the biscuits with a square of parchment if you need to stack them. Assemble and cook the refrigerated stew and biscuits as directed above.
Make Ahead - Freezer: If storing in the freezer for up to three months, divide the stew into portioned resealable containers or freezer bags and freeze. Freeze the biscuits on a baking sheet before transferring to a freezer bag. To cook the pot pie, defrost the stew in the fridge overnight. Transfer the stew into a casserole dish and top with the frozen biscuits, brush with melted butter, and bake at 400°F (200°C) for 40 to 45 minutes.
Click here to find all the recipes from this episode!