2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) white vinegar
4 slices brioche bread, toasted
8 slices country ham
4 egg yolks
454 grams butter, melted
1 lemon, juice
Salt and pepper
Water, for thinning sauce
Tarragon leaves, to garnish
- Place mixing bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water.
- Add egg yolks and whisk making sure to not curdle the yolks. Whisk until yolks are pale. Whisk in the lemon juice. Whisk in salt. Whisk in melted butter ladle by ladle in a steady stream.
- Thin out sauce with water as needed and adjust seasoning, keep warm (not hot).
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Sear ham in a pan over high heat and keep warm.
- In a pot, heat water to a slow simmer, add vinegar.
- Crack eggs into small bowls.
- Using a spoon, create a whirlpool in the center of the boiling water.
- Drop the eggs into the center of the whirlpool and allow to cook for 2 minutes or until whites are set.
- On a plates, place pieces of toasted brioche topped with seared ham.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from water and drain well, pat dry if needed. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Place the eggs on top of the ham. Cover in hollandaise sauce.
- Garnish with tarragon and serve.