A delectable one pot dish that embodies the multicultural exotic flavours of Guyanese cooking. It is reminiscent of a Caribbean Jambalaya…delish!
Place all ingredients in a small dish and mix thoroughly with a fork. Keep in an airtight container.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and puree.
1. Place the turkey in a large bowl, add the vinegar, half of the seasoned salt, green seasoning marinade and half of the cassareep. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator to marinate for an hour or overnight.
2. Preheat a 7-quart (7L) Dutch oven or wide-bottomed pot with ½ of the oil over medium high heat. Sear the turkey in batches until golden on both sides but not cooked through completely. Set aside on a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, celery, peppers, cook for 3 minutes, add garlic, ginger, cook until fragrant for 1 minute.
5. Add squash, okras, carrots, cook 5 minutes, add rice and cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in Chinese Five Spice, thyme, bean medley and remaining cassareep.
6. Add hot water to cover over rice by 1-inch, coconut milk, green onions, and basil. Return the turkey to the pot, add pepper, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, let cook for approximately 15-25 or until rice is done. Fluff with a fork and serve at once with Cucumber, Tomatoes & Avocado Salad.
Watch The Marilyn Denis Show Daily at 10am ET on CTV