1. Heat oil in a heavy pot to 350 F (175 C) for deep frying.
2. Place tofu cubes between two layers of paper towels and lightly press to remove some moisture. Be careful not to break.
3. Lightly coat tofu cubes in cornstarch and deep fry until the outside is crispy.
1. Preheat oven to 475 F (245 C).
2. Mix miso, honey, and water together in a bowl to make a glaze.
3. Brush glaze over mushroom clusters and roast in oven for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
1. In a large pot, make dashi stock by bringing water to a boil with kombu. Once boiling, turn heat to low and steep kombu for 15 minutes.
2. Bring water back up to boil. Add katsuobushi and remove from heat. Steep for 1 minute and strain. Return to pot. Add soy and mirin and return to a boil.
3. Make a slurry with cornstarch and water. Add to sauce and allow it to thicken slightly.
4. Add yuzu juice, remove from heat and cool slightly.
5. Reserve a bit of the sauce for plating and pour the rest into a tall glass for grilling the duck hearts.
NOTE: This makes extra sauce; the quantity is needed to fill a cylinder or pitcher for the cooking method that requires repeated dipping of the skewer. Reserve extra for another cooked preparation or discard.
1. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat, brush lightly with oil.
2. Thread the duck hearts onto a skewer. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Dip the skewer into the glass filled with Tare sauce and coat.
4. Lift the skewer from the sauce, drain, and then transfer to the grill pan and grill on one side until just starting to crust.
5. Before flipping, return the skewer to the sauce, coat, drain and return to the pan to cook the other side.
6. Repeat grilling and dipping for 7-8 minutes until duck hearts are sticky and charred, but still medium on the inside.
1. Spoon some of the reserved sauce over mushroom and duck heart.
2. Spoon sauce onto middle of a serving plate.
3. Place a mushroom, grilled duck heart, and a cube of tofu in a tight cluster on the center of the plate.
4. Garnish with shiso leaves. Dust with togarashi and sprinkle the tofu cube with bonito flakes.