1. Combine the soy, brown sugar, water, apple cider vinegar, garlic, green onions, and whisk to dissolve the sugar.
2. Pour the marinade over the ribs and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
3. Remove the ribs from the marinade. Strain the marinade, transfer to a pan and reduce over medium heat to a sauce consistency. Keep warm.
4. Hang the rib flank from a hook and cook by charring evenly on both sides with a blowtorch. When cooked, cut each rib into four pieces with about 1 bone each.
1. Strain the Lotus Root Pickles, divide the lotus root slices from the julienned carrots and ginger.
2. Cut a slit in the top part of a slice of pickled lotus root, and a slit in the bottom part of another. Make a ‘flower’ by sliding them into one another so they can sit upright on a plate.
3. Place a small mound of strained carrot and ginger pickle julienne on the right side of the plate, then place lotus ‘flower’ on top of the pickled vegetables.
4. On the left side of the plate, stack 4 pieces of cooked short rib.
5. In the space between the pickles and the ribs, splatter sauce by allowing it to drip off of a fork or pastry brush.
6. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds over the sauce
Watch CombiNation Plates Mondays at 9:30 pm ET on CTV Life Channel