- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to coarsely grind.
- Cook the manicotti according to the package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, 1-1/2 tablespoons oil, then add the onions and sweat for four minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and keep cooking for two minutes.
- Add the spinach mixture to the tofu ricotta. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the eggplant into thick slices (two centimeters). Generously season the eggplant slices with salt.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons oil, then add the eggplant slices and fry for seven minutes, until softened, flipping halfway through.
- Lay the eggplant slices flat in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Transfer the tofu ricotta mixture to a piping bag, then fill the manicotti.
- Set the filled manicotti over the eggplant slices, then pour the sauce over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy.
Excerpted from The Buddhist Chef by Jean-Philippe Cyr. Copyright © 2019 Jean-Philippe Cyr. Photography by Samuel Joubert. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.