- Have all ingredients at room temperature, about 70°F. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 23 - 25 centimeter Bundt pan. In a large bowl or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter, vegetable shortening, orange zest, orange extract, vanilla and salt together.
- Add sugar and cream until very fluffy. Then, one at a time, add eggs, beating until combined.
- Add in three parts cake or pastry flour, alternating with, in two parts, sparkling wine. Beat until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about one hour ten minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for ten minutes. Unmold onto a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the glaze, beat together in a medium bowl the powdered sugar, orange zest, and sparkling wine. Place a piece of parchment paper under the rack the cake is sitting on. Pour the glaze over the cake. Let set for ten minutes.
Exerpted from the 2019 edition of Joy of Cooking with permission from Scribner/Simon & Schuster Canada. All rights reserved.