2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) active dry or instant yeast
1 cup (240 milliliters) lukewarm water
1/3 cup (80 milliliters) honey
1/4 cup (60 milliliters) milk
4 1/2 cups (1.08 liters) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (120 milliliters) brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon (8 milliliters) salt
3 large eggs
1 egg white
3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) vegetable oil
Vegetable oil, for oiling bowl
1 egg, for egg wash
1/2 teaspoon (3 milliliters) water, for egg wash
Coarse salt, for topping
- Sprinkle yeast in a small bowl. Pour lukewarm water in bowl. Add honey and milk and sit to agitate. Set bowl aside until frothy.
- Put flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add brown sugar and salt and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, add eggs and yolk. Pour oil into well. Whisk wet ingredients together.
- Pour in your yeast mixture and stir everything together until a dough forms.
- Use the dough hook attachment of the stand mixer to knead the dough on low until dough starts to look smooth. Add more flour if needed.
- Turn onto a floured work surface and knead.
- Oil a bowl and put dough inside. Cover with a tea towel and let side until doubled in size, about two hours.
- Punch the dough to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and break it into three balls of equal size. Roll each ball into a thick rope.
- Braid into a long braid. Press together the strands of the braid at each end to secure.
- Transfer the braid to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and let sit to rise again.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Crack egg for egg wash into a small bowl. Add water and whisk together.
- Brush the bread with the egg wash.
- Top with a sprinkling of coarse salt.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until nicely browned.