- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the beets, sweet potatoes, carrots, and olive oil and season with the salt and pepper to taste. Bake until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chick’n: In a medium bowl, combine the vegan strips and boiling water; set aside to soften for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium- high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and corn. Cook until softened and browned in spots, three to four minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about one minute. Add the paprika, coriander, and chili powder and stir to coat. Stir in two tablespoons water and remove from the heat.
- Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, tahini, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the kale to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Divide the kale among individual serving dishes. Add the roasted root vegetables to the skillet with the vegan strips, stir to combine, then spoon the mixture over the kale and serve.
Excerpted from 'Evolving Vegan' by Mena Massoud, published by Tiller Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. Copyright © 2020 by Evolving Vegan, Inc. All rights reserved. Photo credit: Andrew Rowley