2 whole dungeness crab
2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) anise seed
1/4 cup (60 milliliters) Pernod
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
4 cups (1 liter) water
1/4 cup (60 milliliters) tomato paste
2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) paprika
1/2 cup (120 milliliters) heavy cream
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil over high heat.
- Add crab and cook for eight minutes.
- Remove the crab from the water, reserving the water.
- Once the crab is cooled, remove all the flesh from the legs and body, reserving the flesh and bones separately.
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add anise seed and crab bones, and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add the Pernod and cook for two to three minutes to burn off alcohol.
- Add garlic, celery, onion, pepper and water. Simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and place in food processor.
- Blend until perfectly smooth, and return to sauce pan.
- Add tomato paste, paprika and cream.
- Simmer another 45 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot and add crab meat over the top.