1-1/2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons hot cocoa powder
3 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/4 cup mini marshmallows
Additional melted chocolate - milk, dark or white
Crushed candy canes
Whatever you like!
- * You will need round silicone sphere molds to make these. I used 2 x 2 1/2” round molds, if you use molds that are smaller you can scale down the ingredient list.
- Begin by tempering the chocolate. Melt 2/3 of the chocolate over a double boiler (a metal or glass mixing bowl over a saucepan of simmering water) until chocolate is fully melted and, using an instant read thermometer, the chocolate has not surpassed 100°. Remove the bowl from the heat and add the remaining chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted and incorporated. This will lower the temperature of the chocolate, hovering at around 88°-90°.
- Now you’re ready to coat the molds. Spoon about one tablespoon of the melted chocolate into each cavity of the silicone molds and spread the chocolate evenly to cover the entire sphere. Place the the mold on a cookie sheet and into the fridge for ten minutes. Remove the mold from the fridge and repeat this step one more time.
- Once the molds have had two coats of chocolate and are firmly set, you’re ready to un-mold.
- Carefully remove the chocolate shells from the molds and place them on the cookie sheet.
- Fill half of the shells with about one tablespoon of hot cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder and a scattering of mini marshmallows.
- Heat a pan over low heat and gently press an empty shell onto the warmed pan to slightly melt it. Take this shell and very gently press it onto one of the filled shells to create the bomb.
- Repeat this with all the shells.
- To decorate, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.