- 4 to 5 (400 grams) onions , chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) Thai chili
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) dried Thai chilis
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) cumin seeds
- 1.5 tablespoon (22 millilitres) green Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) Toban-djan
- 10 cups (2.4 litres) water
- 1 cup (240 millilitres) chicken powder
- 1 cup (240 millilitres) Shaoxing wine
- 8 lamb shanks, 256 grams each
- 6 tablespoons (90 millilitres) olive oil, divided
- 2 packages Chinese egg noodles
- 8 heads bok choy, halved
- 1 head Nappa cabbage, shredded
- 16 King oyster mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons (30 millilitres) garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 6 scallions, chopped
- In a large stock pot, sauté onions, garlic and Thai chili in sesame oil until caramelized, over medium-high heat.
- In a separate dry pan, toast the black peppercorns, dry Thai chilis, cumin seeds and green Sichuan peppercorns.
- Deglaze the pot with Shaoxing wine and reduce by half. Add the toasted spices, Toban-djan, chicken powder and water to the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour. Remove pot from heat. Blitz the stock and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Toss lamb with three tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet linedwith parchment paper and place in oven. Roast lamb shank in oven for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 275F (135C). Remove lamb from baking sheet and transfer to a Dutch oven. Add stock, cover, put back in oven and braise for three hours or until fall off the bone tender.
- In a large skillet, sauté Bok choy, cabbage and king oyster mushrooms in three tablespoons of olive oil. Add two tablespoons of chopped garlic and cook for one minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Remove Dutch oven from oven. Remove lamb and set aside. Transfer the remaining stock to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, introduce the Chinese egg noodles and cook for two minutes.
- Serve broth, noodles, sautéed Bok choy, cabbage and king oyster mushrooms in a bowl. Place a lamb shank on top. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.