- Heat oil in large deep saucepan or wok to 350F (175C).
- Add cauliflower to a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) of flour. Toss to dust evenly. Set aside.
- To make the batter, add flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vegetable stock to a bowl and whisk together. See the video below for a suggestion on a time saving tool that could help here!
- Add dusted cauliflower to bowl of batter and stir to coat. Remove cauliflower pieces, one at a time, ensuring fully coated with batter and carefully lower into hot oil in wok. Continue with remaining pieces. Using a metal slotted spoon or fork, agitate the pieces carefully so they don’t stick together. Cook for three to five minutes or until pieces are golden and crispy and cauliflower is tender. Remove pieces with a metal slotted spoon and add to a paper towel-lined bowl. Shake bowl to remove excess oil.
- To make the sauce, whisk together ketchup, sugar, brown sugar and vinegar in a small pot. Cook over medium-high heat for four to five minutes or until sauce starts to bubble.
- Move cauliflower to fresh bowl. Drizzle sauce over cauliflower, toss to coat evening. Add cauliflower to a large platter and serve scatter sliced scallions on top to serve.
Watch the video below to find out about Spencer's tips for the busy bees out there on saving time in the kitchen!