4 Cortland apples
4 slices thick cut bacon
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh parsley, chopped
227 grams aged cheddar, crumbled
1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) allspice
1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Turn on half the barbeque to medium to reach a temperature of 350 F (175 C).
- In a pan cook the bacon, reserve the fat.
- In a pan heat two tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat, place onions in pan and cook for ten minutes or until caramelized.
- Chop up the bacon.
- Cut the tops off each apple.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out a cavity in the apples.
- Season the inside of each apple with allspice, salt and pepper.
- Combine the onion, oregano, parsley, cheddar, and bacon to create the stuffing.
- Pack the stuffing mixture into the apples.
- Place apples on the unlit side of the grill with the lid closed to cook with indirect heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened and serve warm.
- Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on the size and type of your barbeque.