1 whole red snapper (900 grams), with belly and insides removed
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 gram of saffron
1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 cups (1 liter) fish stock
2 large tomatoes, chopped
Salt, to taste
- Remove fillets from fish, keeping the bones and head aside.
- Place fish bones and head in a large sauce pot.
- Add celery, onion, fennel, garlic, saffron, peppercorns, bay leaf, fish stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for one hour to 90 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and transfer to a food processor.
- Blend for two to three minutes, or until completely smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt.
- You can strain the soup but this is not necessary.
- Return to sauce pot over medium heat.
- Remove skin from fillets, and cut into two centimeter pieces.
- Add red snapper flesh to the bouillabaise and cook for three to four minutes.
- Remove from heat, and serve immediately.
- Serve with rouille with garlic toast (see recipe).