- Combine steak, garlic, sugar, oyster sauce, vinegar, oil in a bowl, season with salt. Marinate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Heat the cooking oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the beef mixture to the pan and stir fry until the beef starts to form a crust along the edges, about six to eight minutes, then remove it from the pan and set it aside.
GARLIC FRIED RICE
- Clean the pan (or use a fresh one) and use it to heat oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry for about 30 seconds, until just starting to show a little colour. Add the rice and season with salt.
- Stir fry the rice until it is heated through, well coated with the garlic and oil, and starting to crisp. Add soy sauce and scallions and toss one more time. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Heat vegetable oil in a clean pan non-stick pan over medium heat, fry the eggs sunny side up. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mold the rice with a small bowl or ramekin and unmold onto a plate, garnish with fried garlic chips. Add the egg and a generous spoonful of the beef. Garnish with cilantro and serve with spiced vinegar (see note) and dipping.
Spiced Vinegar, aka “Sinamak” is made by combining sugar cane vinegar, whole finger chilies, ginger, garlic, peppercorns, and fish sauce in a jar or bottle. Rest at least three days and serve with silog or anything that needs a pinch more acid and spice.