1/2 cup uncooked small tapioca pearls (see note above for substituting with chia seeds)
2 cups unsweetened plain oat milk or other plant milk of choice
1 400ml-can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup OR 1/4 cup organic granulated sugar – add more depending on your taste and sweetness of mangoes (see headnote ‘sweetness level’)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups small-cubed mangoes, separated (about 3-4 small mangos)
A few segments of pomelo, pulled out of membrane (optional for topping)
- To a medium pot, add tapioca pearls, oat milk (or milk of choice), coconut milk, maple syrup (or sugar) and vanilla extract. Let the mixture soak for about one hour in the fridge. I like soaking to give the pearls a head-start absorbing moisture for more evenly cooked tapioca. If you skip soaking, just cook it a little longer.
- Give the mixture a stir as some of the tapioca might have sunk to the bottom. Set the pot over a medium heat, bring contents to a boil and quickly turn it down to a lower setting. Simmer gently for about seven to eight minutes, stirring constantly for even cooking. What to look for: Use the recipe time as a guideline, making sure to rely mostly on visual queue for doneness. That is, when pearls are mostly translucent with a pin-dot of opaque remaining in the center. They will continue to cook through in the residual heat as the mixture cools so you don’t want take them too far before removing from heat. They will not necessarily all look equally cooked through, even with constant stirring, but that’s okay just look for this doneness in most of the pearls. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for five minutes.
- Pour pudding into another vessel and let it cool to room temperature. Put into the fridge to chill rest of the way until cold, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, place 1one cup of the diced mangoes in a small blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Mix the puree with cooled tapioca mixture. If you like a thinner pudding, stir in a bit more oat milk or coconut milk.
- To serve, scoop mango tapioca mixture into serving bowls. Top with the remaining fresh mango cubes and pomelo if using. Enjoy! X